“The only thing stopping you from getting what you want is
the story you keep telling yourself.” ~Tony Robbins
Common Limiting Beliefs:
1) I don’t have enough willpower.
When it comes to weight loss, willpower only lasts for so long. You have to practice new self-talk and mindset to lose weight and not re-gain the weight once it’s gone. Lasting weight loss is achieved when you change your old habits, behaviors and mindset.
2) I don’t have time.
We all have the same 24 hours in a day so why do some people find the time to exercise or plan for their meals? For some it’s I MUST, for others it’s I SHOULD. Figure out where you spend your time and decide if it’s the best possible use of your time.
When it comes to your health “I don’t have time” usually means it’s not a priority. Don’t be too busy for YOU.
3) What if I fail again?
Well….What if you don’t???
Holding onto this belief will keep you stuck because you don’t believe in yourself or trust yourself that you can do it. Be the person that falls down and gets back up. Don’t stay down.
In a recent survey I took of my readers more than 50% said they were ready to start their weight loss journey BUT worried “What if I can’t do it?”
This limiting belief will, most likely, prevent them from ever getting started or will cause them to self-sabotage because they don’t truly believe they can.
What beliefs do you have about yourself and the world that constrain your present experience and impede your ability to have the future you want?
All limiting beliefs are rooted in fear: of failure, of rejection, of social judgment.
We turn away from what we fear and retreat to the confines of our comfort zone. In doing so, we give limiting beliefs their self-fulfilling power and accommodate ourselves to false inevitabilities.
If you struggle with losing weight or keeping off the weight you lose, take a few minutes and write down the answers to these questions:
• What resistance am I feeling inside while I think about achieving this goal?
• Why can’t I overcome certain challenges to achieve my goal? What is holding me back?
• What specifically is getting in the way?
• What unhelpful habits am I indulging in?
• How am I thinking about this situation?
• What am I saying or doing to myself that is holding me back?
• What excuses do I tend to indulge in? What do these excuses mean? Why do I make them?
• Why do I think this is hard or too difficult? What is stopping me? Why?
To free yourself from your limiting beliefs shine the light of awareness on them.